The Best Convertible Cribs for 2022
Editor’s Note: We know raising kids can be hard. That’s why we’re dedicated to making your life easier with the latest and greatest parenting advice and products. We wanted to let you know that if you chose to purchase one of the items featured in this post, we may receive a small commission for it.
Convertible cribs are a great choice because they grow with your baby. What begins as a baby crib converts to a toddler bed and in some cases even a full-size bed. When choosing between bassinets and crib styles, a convertible crib is a smart choice. Going with a convertible crib means you don’t have to buy a new bed every couple of years. With so many convertible cribs on the market, how will you decide which one is best for you? We carefully created this buying guide by selecting our favorites to help you make the right choice.
Our Top Picks for Convertible Cribs in 2022
- Best for the Petite Mama: Babyletto Hudson 3-in-1 Convertible Crib at Amazon
- Best for a Budget: Davinci Union 4-in-1 Convertible Crib at Amazon
- Best Portable Crib: Davinci Jenny Lind 3-in-1 Convertible Portable Crib at Amazon
- Best for the Stylish Nursery: Pottery Barn Kendall Convertible Crib at Pottery Barn Kids
- Best for Small Spaces: Dream on Me Aden Convertible Mini Crib at Amazon
- Best for the Health Conscious Parent: Davinci Kalani 4-in-1 Convertible Crib at Amazon
- Easiest to Assemble: Delta Children Canton 4-in-1 Convertible Baby Crib at Amazon
- Best All-In-One: Graco Benton 4-in-1 Convertible Crib and Changer at Amazon
- Best With Under Crib Storage: Carter's by Davinci Colby 4-in-1 Convertible Crib at Amazon
- Best Convertible Crib and Dresser Set: Evolur Belmar 5-in-1 Convertible Crib and Double Dresser at Amazon
- Best Sleek and Modern Design: Delta Children Poppy 4-in-1 Convertible Crib at Amazon
- Best Metal Crib: Million Dollar Baby Camellia 3-in-1 Convertible Metal Crib at Amazon
What to Consider When Purchasing a Convertible Crib
- Safety First: Make sure your crib has passed the federal safety standards. Also, it's important to avoid unnecessary blankets and baby bedding as they can be suffocation hazards.
- Cribs by Age: Are you in the market for a convertible crib for a baby or a toddler? The age of your little one will determine the best one. It will need to be the appropriate size and design to keep them safe. Plus, it may be worthwhile to choose a crib that includes a toddler rail conversion kit or gives you the option to purchase one later.
- Longevity: This purchase is meant to last your child for several years, so you want it to be durable.
- Aesthetics: You want something that looks nice and that is versatile enough to complement your nursery furniture as well as the different bedroom themes your child might like over the years.
- Value: Check to see what is included with your purchase. Some cribs come with a toddler bed conversion kit or a crib mattress, while with others, you will need to purchase these things separately.
- Crib mattress: Many cribs include a crib mattress with purchase. Often they are very thin mattress pads and you may consider a thicker and safer crib mattress to go with the convertible crib you choose. Here are some great options:
How We Chose Our Favorites
To curate the most helpful list of convertible cribs possible, we scoured consumer reviews and consulted directly with real parents who have tried the cribs out. We also spoke with parenting experts to make sure the convertible cribs we selected were safe and well-loved by families. After hearing about experiences in real nurseries around the world we came up with a Top 12 that will help you choose the perfect convertible crib for your little one.
1. Best Convertible Crib for the Petite Mama
2. A good option for the parent on a budget
3. Best portable convertible crib
4. A good option for the parent with a stylish nursery
Pottery Barn Kendall Convertible Crib
If you’re up on nursery trends and want your baby nestled into an Instagram-worthy setup, this crib is your ideal choice. It is beautifully designed and features Craftsman-inspired details that make it as pretty as a picture. The Kendall is also very durable and will last well through the crib and toddler bed stages.
Here’s What Reviewers Have to Say
“We used this crib for our son and we plan to use it again for baby #2!”
“Good design, sturdy, held up well.”
5. Best choice for families living in small spaces
6. A good option for the health-conscious parent
7. Easiest convertible crib to assemble
8. Best all-in-one convertible crib
9. Best convertible crib with under crib storage
10. Best convertible crib and dresser set
11. Best sleek and modern convertible crib
12. Best convertible metal crib
Frequently Asked Questions About Convertible Cribs
Q: Is a convertible crib a safe option for my baby?
To market an item like a crib, bassinet, or play yard, the manufacturer has to pass the federal safety standards. Convertible cribs are considered safe for sleep as long as parents follow the ABCs of safe sleep: the infant should sleep alone, be placed on their back, and in a crib. That means that you should not add any blankets, pillows, stuffed animals, or crib bumpers and that no one else should sleep in the crib with the baby.
Cribs can be recalled or outdated, so it’s safest to buy a new crib. If your crib is not new, do your research to make sure it has not been recalled and that it meets the federal safety standards. An example of an unsafe crib that should not be used is a drop-side crib.
Q: Do I need to buy a toddler bed conversion kit for my convertible crib?
This depends on the model that you select. You can find this information in the product description. If you need to purchase a conversion kit separately, it is wise to buy this together with the crib. Then you won’t have to worry about your model or color being discontinued.
Q: When do I need to convert the crib to a toddler bed?
You must convert the crib to a toddler bed when your little one first tries to climb out of the crib or when they reach the manufacturer’s listed height limit.