Find Baby Names
Indonesia is ethnically diverse, and as such, it has a wide variety of surnames. The most prevalent ethnic groups include the Javanese, Chinese-Indonesian, Batak, Minahasa, Minangkabau, Dayak Tribe, Hadhramaut, and Toraja Tribe. Each of these cultures contributes many common Indonesian surnames.
Each cultural group has a different way of choosing family names and given names, and there is no one set rule for Indonesian names.
For example, the Javanese culture does not formally use surnames, so if members of this group emigrate to other lands, it is common to repeat their personal names twice. On the other hand, the Minahasa and Batak cultures follow patrilineal rules and pass on the father’s clan name.
This article has compiled a list of common last names throughout Indonesia. Read on to see if your surname is on the list and to discover the meaning of many common surnames.
Common Indonesian Last Names and Meanings
- Agung - Bahasa. The great.
- Budi - The wise one.
- Eka - Sanskrit. One.
- Ginting - Karo-Batakense. Meaning unknown.
- Gunawan - Skilled in magic.Virtuous or meritorious.
- Hadi - Arabic. Leader, guide.
- Hartono - Chinese. It has various meanings and the meaning changes depending on how it is spelled.
- Hasan - Arabic. Good and handsome.
- Jakarta - A geographic name from Indonesia.
- Java - Home or distant.
- Nasution - Loving change, enthusiasm, reliability.
- Putra - Sanskrit. A son.
- Putri - Sanskrit. Princess.
- Salim - Arabic. Safe or undamaged.
- Santoso - Peaceful.
- Siahaan - Eldest son. Several ethnic groups use this name.
- Sihombing - Son of Hombing.
- Santoso - Peaceful.
- Sinaga - The dragon.
- Siregar - Keenness, comradeship.
- Situmorang - A common name in Indonesia, meaning unknown.
- Slamet - Safety.
- Suharto - Javanese. Good treasure.
- Wahid Muslim. Singular or unequaled.
- Wati - A popular place surname in Indonesia
- Widodo - Healthy.
- Wijaya - Winning and victorious.
Indonesian Religious Surnames and Meanings
- Ahmad - Islamic. Praised one.
- Alwi - Muslim. Follower of Ali.
- Antara - Lovely goddess.
- Anwar - Muslim. This name is used as a first name and surname and means more luminous.
- Arifin - Sanskrit. Saints.
- Dewi Deity.
- Hidayat - Arabic. Guidance.
- Ismail - Heard by God
- Kurniawan - A gift from God.
- Lestari Abiding.
- Mekel - Similarity to God.
- Muhammad - Arabic. Praiseworthy.
- Munaf - Exalted.
- Murni - A pure soul.
- Ndari - Mulsim. Full moon.
- Ningrum - Inside the soul.
- Nugraha - Gift of God.
- Piliang - The deity.
- Saleh - Righteous.
- Setiawan - Faithful. Also a popular boy’s baby name.
- Tjay - This popular last name means gift of God.
Indonesian Nature Surnames
- Angkasa - The sky. It is also used as a first name.
- Astria - Of the stars.
- Baskoro - The sun.
- Batubara Coal.
- Bayu - Wind.
- Bintang - Star.
- Bulan - A name popular throughout South Asia; it means moon.
- Cahya - The light.
- Daturbara - Coal.
- Guntur - Thunder.
- Inten - Diamond.
- Karmela - Garden.
- Mentari - The sun.
- Persik - Peach.
- Sikumbang - Beetle.
- Saphira - Greek. Beautiful Gem.
- Sarasvati - Possessing water.
- Surya - Gold.
- Uwais - Small wolf.
- Wulandari - Full moon.
- Yeo - River.
- Yue - Moon.