Meaning and Origin of: Weller
Search for Names & Meanings Top 100 Names for Boys Top 100 Names for Girls Last Name History & Meaning Name Popularity Tracker Celebrity Names Search for Names by Trait Browse First Names A-Z Browse Last Names A-Z Browse First Names by Origin Browse Last Names by Origin Baby Name Lists How to Choose a Name
Boy name origins & meanings:
- Old English : From the springs
Boy name variations
Family name origins & meanings:
- Southern English : topographic name for someone who lived by a stream, an agent derivative of Well.
- North German : variant of Welle, cognate with 1.
- German : from an agent derivative of Middle High German wëllen ‘to roll, revolve, or smear’, hence an occupational name for someone who made wattle and daub walls.
- German : from Middle High German wëllen ‘to cause to boil or simmer’, hence a metonymic occupational name for a smelter, cook, or the like.
- German : from Middle High German wëlle ‘roll’, ‘bale’, hence a metonymic occupational name for someone who sold cloth or wool, for example.