Meaning and Origin of: Vela
Search for Names & Meanings Top 100 Names for Boys Top 100 Names for Girls Last Name History & Meaning Name Popularity Tracker Celebrity Names Search for Names by Trait Browse First Names A-Z Browse Last Names A-Z Browse First Names by Origin Browse Last Names by Origin Baby Name Lists How to Choose a Name
Boy name origins & meanings:
- Czechoslovakian : Great glory
Boy name variations
Family name origins & meanings:
- Spanish, Catalan and Galician : of uncertain derivation; it could be from the pre-Roman personal name Vela (compare Basque bela, vela ‘raven’). More likely perhaps, it may be a byname from vela meaning either ‘sail’ or ‘watchman’.
- Spanish : habitational name from a place name Vela, in Córdoba province.
- Portuguese : habitational name from a place named Vela in Portugal.
- Czech : from a pet form of either of two personal names, Velislav or Velimir.