Meaning and Origin of: Seal
Search for Names & Meanings Top 100 Names for Boys Top 100 Names for Girls Last Name History & Meaning Name Popularity Tracker Celebrity Names Search for Names by Trait Browse First Names A-Z Browse Last Names A-Z Browse First Names by Origin Browse Last Names by Origin Baby Name Lists How to Choose a Name
Boy name origins & meanings:
- American : Water; natural; singer
Family name origins & meanings:
- English : variant of Sale 1.
- English : metonymic occupational name for a maker of seals or signet rings, from Middle English, Old French seel ‘seal’ (Latin sigillum).
- English : metonymic occupational name for a maker of saddles, from Old French seele ‘saddle’.
- English : nickname for a plump or ungainly person, from Middle English sele ‘seal’ (the aquatic mammal).
- Americanized form (translation) of Jewish Siegel.