Family name origins & meanings
- Southern Italian (Samá) : from the Biblical personal name.
- Catalan (Samà) : habitational name from Samà, a place in Catalonia.
- Asturian-Leonese : in some cases, a habitational name from any of various places in Asturies named Sama.
- Indian (Gujarat) : Hindu (Rajput) name of unknown meaning. The Samas are believed to be an offshoot of the Jadeja tribe.
- Japanese (not common in Japan) : variously written, the name appears to be topographic, deriving from the word semai ‘narrow’.