Family name origins & meanings
- Italian : from palla ‘ball’, a metonymic occupational name for a maker of cannon balls or a nickname for a player of ball games or someone with a rotund figure.
- Catalan : habitational name from any of several places of this name in Catalonia.
- Catalan and Galician : also probably a derivative of palla ‘straw’.
- Hungarian : from the personal name Pál (see Pal).
- Indian (Gujarat) : Muslim name of unknown meaning.
- Indian (Panjab) : Sikh name, probably from Panjabi pəllā ‘edge of a garment’, ‘support’.