Girl name origins & meanings
- Latin : Honorable one
Boy name origins & meanings
- Latin : Honorable one; well-born
Boy name variations
How Popular Is The Name Noble
Family name origins & meanings
- English, Scottish, and Irish (of Norman origin); also French : nickname from Middle English, Old French noble ‘high-born’, ‘distinguished’, ‘illustrious’ (Latin nobilis), denoting someone of lofty birth or character, or perhaps also ironically someone of low station. The surname has been established in Ireland since the 13th century, but was re-introduced in the 17th century and is now found mainly in Ulster.
- Jewish (Ashkenazic) : Americanized form of Knöbel, a surname derived from an archaic German word for a servant. This was the name of a famous rabbinical family which moved from Wiener Neustadt to Sanok in Galicia in the 17th century; several members subsequently emigrated to the U.S.
- Jewish : Americanized form of Nobel.
- German : probably a Huguenot name (see 1).
- Possibly an altered form of German Knobel or Nobel.