Boy name origins & meanings
- French : Steep mountain; residence name
Family name origins & meanings
- Catalan and French : topographic name for someone who lived on or near a hill, from Catalan and Old French mont ‘mountain’, ‘hill’ (Latin mons, genitive montis).
- Dutch : nickname from Middle Dutch monde ‘mouth’, perhaps denoting someone with a large or loud one.
- Dutch : from a short form of a Germanic personal name ending in -mond (from mund ‘protection’; compare Raymond.)
- Dutch (de Mont) : kinship name from Middle Dutch mond ‘guardian’.