Girl name origins & meanings
- Latin : Sea; of the sea; bitter
- Latin, Russian : Sea maiden
Girl name variations
Boy name origins & meanings
- French : Ocean-loving
Boy name variations
How Popular Is The Name Marin
Family name origins & meanings
- Spanish (Marín), French, English, Slovenian, Croatian, and Romanian : from the Latin personal name Marinus, borne by several minor early saints. Originally this was a Roman family name derived from Marius (compare Marie), but was often taken to mean ‘of the sea’.
- Italian (Venetia) : variant of Marino.
- Serbian, Croatian, and Slovenian : from the personal name Marija or its short form Mara (see Maria).
- Galician and Spanish : habitational name from a place called Marín, in particular the one in Pontevedra, Galicia.
- French : occupational name for a sailor, Old French marin (Late Latin marinus, a derivative of mare ‘sea’).
- Asturian-Leonese (Marín) : occupational name for a sailor in Asturies.