Meaning and Origin of: Mansfield
Search for Names & Meanings Top 100 Names for Boys Top 100 Names for Girls Last Name History & Meaning Name Popularity Tracker Celebrity Names Search for Names by Trait Browse First Names A-Z Browse Last Names A-Z Browse First Names by Origin Browse Last Names by Origin Baby Name Lists How to Choose a Name
Boy name origins & meanings:
- Old English : Man of the meadow
- English : From a field by a small river
Boy name variations
Family name origins & meanings:
- English : habitational name from a place in Nottinghamshire. The early forms, from Domesday Book to the early 13th century, show the first element uniformly as Mam-, and it is therefore likely that this was a British hill-name meaning ‘breast’ (compare Manchester), with the later addition of Old English feld ‘pasture’, ‘open country’ (see Field) as the second element. The surname is now widespread throughout Midland and southern England and is also common in Ireland.
- Irish : when not an importation of 1, this is an altered form of the Norman name Manville (see Mandeville).
- Americanized form of German and Jewish (Ashkenazic) Mansfeld, a habitational name for someone from a place so called in Saxony.