Family name origins & meanings
- Chinese : Cantonese variant of Mai 2.
- Polish and Ukrainian : from a short form of the personal name Makary, Makar, or some other Slavic form of the Greek personal name Makarios ‘blessed’.
- Polish, Jewish (Ashkenazic), and Slovienian : from mak ‘poppy’, a nickname for someone who grew poppies or (as a Jewish name) an ornamental name.
- Hungarian (Mák) : from Mák, a short form of the ecclesistical personal name Makár, Hungarian form of Greek Makarios ‘blessed’.
- Dutch : variant of Mack 2 and 3.