Meaning and Origin of: Lyon
Search for Names & Meanings Top 100 Names for Boys Top 100 Names for Girls Last Name History & Meaning Name Popularity Tracker Celebrity Names Search for Names by Trait Browse First Names A-Z Browse Last Names A-Z Browse First Names by Origin Browse Last Names by Origin Baby Name Lists How to Choose a Name
Boy name origins & meanings:
- French : Fierce
- Latin : Little lion
- Latin : Shining one
- Place name : second-largest metropolitan area in France
Boy name variations
Family name origins & meanings:
- Scottish, English and French : from Old French, Middle English lion (Latin leo, genitive leonis), hence a nickname for a fierce or brave warrior, or a habitational name for someone living at a house distinguished by the sign of a lion.
- Scottish, English, French, and Dutch : habitational name from the city of Lyon in south central France (English name: Lyons), or from the smaller Lyons-la-Forêt in Eure, Normandy. The name of the former is recorded in the 1st century bc as Lugdunum and is from the name of a Celtic god Lug (or this as a personal name, from a word meaning ‘brightness’) + dunon ‘hill fort’.
- Scottish and English : from the name Leo(n) (from Latin leo ‘lion’, or the cognate Greek leōn), borne by numerous early martyrs and thirteen popes.
- Irish : reduced Anglicized form of Gaelic Ó Laighin (see Lane 2).