Girl name origins & meanings
- Latin : Crowned with laurel
Family name origins & meanings
- Northern English, Scottish, and Irish : from a pet form ofLawrence. Compare Lowry.
- South German and Swiss (also Löry) : from a pet form of the personal nameLorenz.
- French : habitational name from either of two villages called Lory, in Loir-et-Cher and Lot, or from Lorry in Moselle.
- A Lory-Gargot from Poitou, France, was in Cap-de-la-Madeleine, Quebec City, by 1665; in Quebec city by 1666; and Becquet by 1670. A Francois Lory, born in Poitiers, France, died in Lachine, Quebec, in 1702.