Family name origins & meanings
- German : from Low German Kopper ‘copper’, hence a metonymic occupational name for a copper dealer or coppersmith.
- German : occupational name, from Low German Köpper ‘bloodletter’, i.e. someone who applied cups in order to effect a bleeding.
- German : from Slavic kopr ‘dill’, ‘fennel’, hence a topographic name or a metonymic occupational name for a herb grower or dealer. Compare Koper.
- German : habitational name for someone from any of the places called Koppen.
- Dutch : variant of Koper.