Boy name origins & meanings
- German : Mythical fertility god
Boy name variations
Family name origins & meanings
- English : from the Old Norse and Middle English personal name Ing(a), a short form of various names with the first element Ing- (see Ingle).
- English : habitational name from an Essex place name, Ing, which survives with various manorial affixes in the names Fryerning, Ingatestone, Ingrave, and Margaretting, and which is probably from an Old English tribal name Gēingas ‘people of the district’.
- Jewish (eastern Ashkenazic) : nickname from Yiddish ing ‘young’.
- Chinese : possibly a variant of Wu 1.
- Chinese : possibly a variant of Wu 4.