Boy name origins & meanings
- Greek : Promise
- Greek : Character in Iliad by
- Shakespearean : From Troilus and Cressida
Family name origins & meanings
- English (West Midlands) : occupational name for a maker of helmets, from the adopted Old French term he(a)umier, from he(a)ume ‘helmet’, of Germanic origin. Compare Helm 2.
- English : variant of Holmer.
- Americanized form of the Greek family name Homiros or one of its patronymic derivatives (Homirou, Homiridis, etc.). This was not only the name of the ancient Greek epic poet (classical Greek Homēros), but was also borne by a martyr venerated in the Greek Orthodox Church.
- Slovenian : topographic name for someone who lived on a hill, from hom (dialect form of holm ‘hill’, ‘height’) + the German suffix -er denoting an inhabitant.
- The American painter Winslow Homer (1836–1910) was of old New England stock dating back to Captain John Homer, an Englishman who crossed the Atlantic in his own ship and settled in Boston about 1636.