Boy name origins & meanings
- French : Place name: province of the Netherlands
- Shakespearean : From Henry VI
Boy name variations
How Popular Is The Name Holland
Family name origins & meanings
- Irish : reduced Anglicized form of Gaelic Ó hÓileáin, a variant of Ó hAoláin, from a form of Faolán (with loss of the initial F-), a personal name representing a diminutive of faol ‘wolf’. Compare Whelan.
- English and Scottish : habitational name from Holland, a division of Lincolnshire, or any of the eight villages in various parts of England so called, from Old English hōh ‘ridge’ + land ‘land’. The Scottish name may also be from places called Holland in Orkney, Houlland in Shetland, Hollandbush in Stirlingshire, and Holland-Hirst in the parish of Kirkintilloch.
- English, German, Jewish (Ashkenazic), Danish, and Dutch : regional name from Holland, a province of the Netherlands.