Boy name origins & meanings
- English : Stag
Boy name variations
How Popular Is The Name Hart
Family name origins & meanings
- English and North German : from a personal name or nickname meaning ‘stag’, Middle English hert, Middle Low German hërte, harte.
- German : variant spelling of Hardt 1 and 2.
- Jewish (Ashkenazic) : ornamental name or a nickname from German and Yiddish hart ‘hard’.
- Irish : Anglicized form of Gaelic Ó hAirt ‘descendant of Art’, a byname meaning ‘bear’, ‘hero’. The English name became established in Ireland in the 17th century.
- French : from an Old French word meaning ‘rope’, hence possibly a metonymic occupational name for a rope maker or a hangman.
- Dutch : nickname from Middle Dutch hart, hert ‘hard’, ‘strong’, ‘ruthless’, ‘unruly’.
- This name was brought independently to New England by many bearers from the 17th century onward. Stephen Hart was one of the founders of Hartford, CT, (coming from Cambridge, MA, with Thomas Hooker) in 1635.