Family name origins & meanings
- English (chiefly Lancashire) and Scottish : from the Middle English personal name Hankin, a pet form of Hann, with the addition of the hypocoristic suffix -kin.
- English : from Middle English Handekin, a diminutive of the nickname Hand.
- English : from Middle English Hamekin, a pet form of the personal name Hamo, Hame (see Hammond).
- Dutch : from a pet form of the personal name Johann(es) (see John).
- Jewish (eastern Ashkenazic) : metronymic from Khanke (a pet form of the Yiddish female personal name Khane; see Hanna), with the Slavic possessive suffix -in.