Boy name origins & meanings
- Latin : Granary
- French : Sentry
Family name origins & meanings
- English : from Anglo-Norman French gerner ‘granary’ (Old French grenier, from Late Latin granarium, a derivative of granum ‘grain’). It may have been a topographic name for someone who lived near a barn or granary, or a metonymic occupational name for someone in charge of the stores kept in a granary.
- English : variant of Warner 1, from a central Old French form.
- English : reduced form of Gardener.
- South German : from an agent derivative of Middle High German garn ‘thread’; by extension, an occupational name for a fisherman.
- Altered spelling of Gerner.