Meaning and Origin of: Forster
Search for Names & Meanings Top 100 Names for Boys Top 100 Names for Girls Last Name History & Meaning Name Popularity Tracker Celebrity Names Search for Names by Trait Browse First Names A-Z Browse Last Names A-Z Browse First Names by Origin Browse Last Names by Origin Baby Name Lists How to Choose a Name
Boy name origins & meanings:
- Old French : Out of the woods
- Old French : Forest keeper
Boy name variations
Family name origins & meanings:
- English : occupational and topographic name for someone who lived or worked in a forest (see Forrest).
- English : Norman French nickname or occupational name from Old French forcetier ‘cutter’, an agent noun from forcettes ‘scissors’.
- English : occupational name, by metathesis, from Old French fust(r)ier ‘blockmaker’ (a derivative of fustre ‘block of wood’).
- German (Förster) : occupational and topographic name for someone who lived and worked in a forest (see Forst).
- Jewish (Ashkenazic) : ornamental name from German Forst ‘forest’.