Boy name origins & meanings
- Old French : Out of the woods
- Old French : Forest keeper
Family name origins & meanings
- English : occupational and topographic name for someone who lived or worked in a forest (see Forrest).
- English : Norman French nickname or occupational name from Old French forcetier‘cutter’, an agent noun from forcettes ‘scissors’.
- English : occupational name, by metathesis, from Old French fust(r)ier‘blockmaker’ (a derivative of fustre ‘block of wood’).
- German (Förster) : occupational and topographic name for someone who lived and worked in a forest (see Forst).
- Jewish (Ashkenazic) : ornamental name from German Forst‘forest’.