Family name origins & meanings
- Norwegian : common habitational name from any of various farmsteads so named, from Old Norse eng ‘meadow’.
- Swedish : ornamental name from äng ‘meadow’, in some cases perhaps chosen as a topographic name by someone who lived beside a meadow. This is one of the many Swedish surnames that were coined in the 19th century from words denoting aspects of the countryside, and which were also used more or less arbitrarily to form compound surnames.
- German : variant of Enge.
- Chinese : variant of Wu 1.
- Chinese : variant of Wu 4.