Boy name origins & meanings
- Old English : Nobleman
- English : A nobleman; variation of Earl
Boy name variations
Family name origins & meanings
- Irish : translation of Gaelic Ó Mocháin (see Mohan; Gaelic moch means ‘early’ or ‘timely’), or of some other similar surname, for example Ó Mochóir, a shortened form of Ó Mochéirghe, Ó Maoil-Mhochéirghe, from a personal name meaning ‘early rising’.
- English : habitational name from any of various places, such as Earley in Berkshire and Arley in Cheshire, Lancashire, Warwickshire, and Worcestershire, which derive their names from Old English earn ‘eagle’ + lēah ‘woodland clearing’.
- English : nickname from Old English eorllīc ‘manly’, ‘noble’, a derivative of eorl (see Earl).
- Americanized spelling of German Ehrle.