Boy name origins & meanings
- Greek : Fine wine lover
- Old English : From the oak valley
Boy name variations
Family name origins & meanings
- Scottish and English : from a pet form of Dennis.
- English : habitational name from a place in Cambridgeshire, most probably named with Old English Dene ‘Dane’ + ēg ‘island’.
- Scottish : habitational name from Denny in Stirlingshire.
- Irish : reduced Anglicized form of Gaelic Ó Duibhne (see Deeney).
- Irish (Cork) : less frequently, a reduced Anglicization of Gaelic Ó Duineachdha (see Dennehy).