Girl name origins & meanings
- English : God is my judge; form of Danielle
Girl name variations
Family name origins & meanings
- French : from a short form of the personal Jordanis.
- French and English : from a pet form of Daniel.
- French : habitational name, with the preposition d(e), for someone from Anixhe in Fexhe-lez-Slins in the Belgian province of Liège, recorded in the 13th century as Anis.
- Hungarian : patronymic from Dani, a pet form of the personal name Dániel, Hungarian form of Daniel.
- Czech and Slovak (Daniš) : variant of Daňek (see Danek).
- Lithuanian and Latvian : from a derivative of the personal name Danis, Danielius (see Daniel).
- A Danis-Tourangeau, from Tours, was married in Montreal in 1658.