Family name origins & meanings
- Polish (Bień) : from a short form of the personal names Benedykt (see Benedict) or Beniamin (seeBenjamin).
- Jewish (eastern Ashkenazic) : from a pet form of the personal name Beniamin (see Benjamin).
- Jewish (Ashkenazic) : ornamental name from Yiddish bin‘bee’, German Bien(e), or a metonymic occupational name for a beekeeper.
- German : from the dialect word Bien ‘bee’, hence a metonymic occupational name for a beekeeper or nickname for an industrious person.
- Vietnamese (Biên) : unexplained.