Meaning and Origin of: Anker
Search for Names & Meanings Top 100 Names for Boys Top 100 Names for Girls Last Name History & Meaning Name Popularity Tracker Celebrity Names Search for Names by Trait Browse First Names A-Z Browse Last Names A-Z Browse First Names by Origin Browse Last Names by Origin Baby Name Lists How to Choose a Name
Boy name origins & meanings:
- Greek : Manly
Boy name variations
Family name origins & meanings:
- German : from Middle High German anker ‘anchor’, applied either as an occupational name for a smith who made ships’ anchors or as a habitational name from a house identified by an anchor.
- English : from the Old French personal name Anchier (see Angier).
- Norwegian and Swedish : probably originally a Swedish soldier’s name meaning ‘anchor’. This is the name of a powerful and influential Norwegian family, who came to Christiana (Oslo) from Sweden in 1668.
- Danish : from a personal name, of which the first element means ‘eagle’ and the second (probably) ‘violent’.
- Americanized form of northern French Anquier, from a personal name of Germanic origin (see Angier).