The Best Convertible Cribs for Babies and Toddlers
Editor’s Note: We know raising kids can be hard. That’s why we’re dedicated to making your life easier with the latest and greatest parenting advice and products. We wanted to let you know that if you chose to purchase one of the items featured in this post, we may receive a small commission for it.
Convertible cribs are a great choice because they grow with your baby. What begins as a baby crib converts to a toddler bed and in some cases even a full-size bed. When choosing between bassinets and crib styles, a convertible crib is a smart choice. Going with a convertible crib means you don’t have to buy a new bed every couple of years. With so many convertible cribs on the market, how will you decide which one is best for you? We carefully created this buying guide by selecting our favorites to help you make the right choice.
Our Top Picks for Convertible Cribs
- Best for the Petite Mama: Babyletto Hudson 3-in-1 Convertible Crib at Amazon
- Best for a Budget: Davinci Union 4-in-1 Convertible Crib at Amazon
- Best Portable Crib: Davinci Jenny Lind 3-in-1 Convertible Portable Crib at Amazon
- Best for the Stylish Nursery: Pottery Barn Kendall Convertible Crib at Pottery Barn Kids
- Best for Small Spaces: Dream on Me Aden Convertible Mini Crib at Amazon
- Best for the Health Conscious Parent: Davinci Kalani 4-in-1 Convertible Crib at Amazon
- Easiest to Assemble: Delta Children Canton 4-in-1 Convertible Baby Crib at Amazon
- Best All-In-One: Graco Benton 4-in-1 Convertible Crib and Changer at Amazon
- Best With Under Crib Storage: Carter's by Davinci Colby 4-in-1 Convertible Crib at Amazon
- Best Convertible Crib and Dresser Set: Evolur Belmar 5-in-1 Convertible Crib and Double Dresser at Amazon
- Best Sleek and Modern Design: Delta Children Poppy 4-in-1 Convertible Crib at Amazon
- Best Metal Crib: Million Dollar Baby Camellia 3-in-1 Convertible Metal Crib at Amazon
What to Consider When Purchasing a Convertible Crib
- Safety First: Make sure your crib has passed the federal safety standards. Also, it's important to avoid unnecessary blankets and baby bedding as they can be suffocation hazards.
- Cribs by Age: Are you in the market for a convertible crib for a baby or a toddler? The age of your little one will determine the best one. It will need to be the appropriate size and design to keep them safe. Plus, it may be worthwhile to choose a crib that includes a toddler rail conversion kit or gives you the option to purchase one later.
- Longevity: This purchase is meant to last your child for several years, so you want it to be durable.
- Aesthetics: You want something that looks nice and that is versatile enough to complement your nursery furniture as well as the different bedroom themes your child might like over the years.
- Value: Check to see what is included with your purchase. Some cribs come with a toddler bed conversion kit or a crib mattress, while with others, you will need to purchase these things separately.
- Crib mattress: Many cribs include a crib mattress with purchase. Often they are very thin mattress pads and you may consider a thicker and safer crib mattress to go with the convertible crib you choose. Here are some great options:
How We Chose Our Favorites
To curate the most helpful list of convertible cribs possible, we scoured consumer reviews and consulted directly with real parents who have tried the cribs out. We also spoke with parenting experts to make sure the convertible cribs we selected were safe and well-loved by families. After hearing about experiences in real nurseries around the world we came up with a Top 12 that will help you choose the perfect convertible crib for your little one.
1. Best Convertible Crib for the Petite Mama
This crib has a sleek, minimalist design that will complement any nursery. It comes with a toddler bed conversion kit and it transforms easily into a toddler bed and daybed. Because Hudson’s sides are lower than average crib height, parents who are on the shorter side found it easier to reach down to pick up their baby. Made of sustainable New Zealand pine wood, this convertible crib is both sturdy and non-toxic.
- “The crib is solid, has four mattress settings, and a clean modern look. Bonus points that it came with the toddler rail.”
- “I’m not a tall person, so the lower profile of this crib has been great because I can actually reach my baby even when the crib is in a lower setting.”
- “Beautiful crib! Prettier in person than in the pictures. Good price, sturdy and it was easy to put together. I’m pregnant and did it all by myself. It’s great for short moms. Not quite as tall as most cribs.”
2. A good option for the parent on a budget
The Union 3-in-1 convertible crib gets you the most bang for your buck. It is a great fit for families trying to save on all the necessary baby gear, while still being a stylish and functional crib. Parents also loved that this crib is lightweight and easy to match with any kind of nursery decor.
- “This is a basic crib that does the job! No frills; minimalist look at a great price. I'm happy with my purchase and I've received lots of compliments on it!”
- “This crib is such a steal! It looks great in my baby’s room and it was way less than the cost of any of the other cribs I found! It goes perfectly in her room and it is plain, which is just what I wanted!”
3. Best portable convertible crib
For some parents, being able to move the crib around is a must. If you need a crib that you can easily roll across the nursery or from room to room, the Davinci Jenny Lind 3-in-1 is your best bed. Parents who had their little ones nap in the nursery but room share for overnight sleep loved this option, as did those who rearranged to accommodate sibling sleep schedules. This crib also has super cute detailed rails that will give the nursery a classic look. It is GreenGuard gold certified, meaning that it's been tested for over 10,000 chemicals.
- “I love how lightweight and easy it is to roll around, yet it sits very securely in place once you enable the wheel locks.”
- “This crib is classic and traditional and oh-so-elegant and timeless. Everyone loves my nursery. I put it together myself while pregnant.”
- “Love how easy it is to move this crib. I can roll it in my room if the baby is sick and keep an eye.”
4. A good option for the parent with a stylish nursery
Pottery Barn Kendall Convertible Crib
If you’re up on nursery trends and want your baby nestled into an Instagram-worthy setup, this crib is your ideal choice. It is beautifully designed and features Craftsman-inspired details that make it as pretty as a picture. The Kendall is also very durable and will last well through the crib and toddler bed stages.
Here’s What Reviewers Have to Say
“We used this crib for our son and we plan to use it again for baby #2!”
“Good design, sturdy, held up well.”
5. Best choice for families living in small spaces
If you have a tiny nursery or you want to keep your crib close to your bedside, a mini-crib could be your best bet. Parents of twins or multiples also loved that they could easily fit two of these cribs into one shared room. The great thing about this mini-crib is that it converts into a twin-sized bed later on, so it will last you even longer than many convertible cribs.
- “Perfect crib for people with small spaces.”
- “We purchased two of these for the twins we are expecting next year and they fit the space perfectly!”
- “I have a smaller room, but did not want to co-sleep again with our newest baby! This was a fantastic solution. There's a ton of room in it.”
6. A good option for the health-conscious parent
If you are the type of parent who wants to make sure that all your baby gear is chemical-free and sustainable, this is the convertible crib for you. The Davinci Kalani 4-in-1 is Greenguard Gold Certified, meaning that it has been tested for over 10,000 chemicals. The finish is non-toxic and free of lead and phthalate. With this crib, you can rest assured that your little one is breathing clean air. The Kalani also has the bonus of being able to convert to a twin bed with a headboard and footboard, furthering its longevity.
- “I really wanted to stay away from chemicals, fumes, and so on. It is amazingly sturdy when assembled, zero fumes, looks good, solid construction.”
- “This crib is well worth the price! It is gorgeous and sturdy. Zero complaints on the quality and my husband had it fully assembled in 1 hour. Totally worth it!”
7. Easiest convertible crib to assemble
It’s not until after you have a baby that you realize how much assembly is required when it comes to all the gear! For some parents, easy assembly is the most important factor in what they buy. Not only do you have to be able to figure out how to do it, but you also don’t want to risk assembling something incorrectly and creating an unsafe setup for your baby. So if you want to be sure that assembly is going to be a breeze, go for the Delta Children Canton 4-in-1. This crib converts to a toddler bed as well as a twin-sized bed that will last through childhood.
- “I appreciate that it really was not that difficult to put together, it took about 30 minutes to get it completely set up.”
- “When we purchased the crib, I was 8 months pregnant and was able to help put it together. Very easy assembly. After being put together, it feels very sturdy.”
- “We've had it for two years now, it was super easy to assemble when I was pregnant. We've taken it apart and put it back together a few times (for moving), and it's still as sturdy as it was brand new.“
8. Best all-in-one convertible crib
Are you the type of parent who wants to buy one product that includes everything you can think of? If you want an all-in-one solution for your baby’s needs, go for the Graco Benton 4-in-1. Not only does it convert from a crib to a toddler bed or daybed and later to a twin-sized bed, taking care of your child’s sleep space perhaps until he moves out, but it is also multifunctional. The Benton includes an attached changing table and three built-in drawers. It could easily be the only piece of furniture in your nursery if you wanted.
- “The drawers are sturdy and the side shelves are perfect for all the diapers and wipes I have bought so far.”
- “I love the changing station attached with drawers and shelves.”
- “I absolutely love this crib! The crib is well made and all the nuts and bolts are high quality.”
9. Best convertible crib with under crib storage
One thing that parents will find after they have a baby is that there is never enough room for all of their things. That's why this convertible crib is such a great choice if you are looking for a little extra storage. This crib has a trundle drawer underneath which is perfect for holding whatever baby essentials you have. From diapers to clothes, you can use them for what you need. The best part is that it's 100% safe and doesn't affect the integrity of the crib, nor is it accessible by your little one while they are in the crib.
- "I am absolutely in love with this crib. It is so sleek and very modern. It wasn’t the worst possible experience putting it together. There are little things that I think should be done for you, such as the sliding rails already being attached to the drawer instead of having to connect them yourself. However, other than that, my husband and I put it together in about an hour and a half and that’s while juggling the needs of our three-month-old. It’s sturdy, it’s cute, I thought it was short but turns out it’s just made that way and most are when they’re convertible."
- "I loved how easy this was to put together. It is VERY STURDY! It comes with extra parts and a little bag to store it all in the height IS AMAZING for NB babies and goes all the way down... it’s so clean and chic. I will say I wish the drawer had some top of cover I will probably add something! But for the price ARE YOU KIDDING ME this was a dream come true purchase. I DWELL over the reviews and I’m glad I decided on this crib."
10. Best convertible crib and dresser set
This is a sturdy crib and dresser set that is made with such high-quality materials. The best part about this product is that the dresser isn't attached to the crib so it can be used for years past the baby and toddler stages- making it more than just a piece of baby furniture! Plus, it also comes with a free crib mattress as well. It's a great value.
"Durable and relatively easy to put together - haven't tried to convert to a bed yet so we will see how that might go."
11. Best sleek and modern convertible crib
Believe me when I say that this is one of the most aesthetically pleasing cribs on the market if you are looking to use modern decor in your nursery. This convertible crib comes in 3 beautiful colors, making it a breeze to match the rest of the baby furniture you choose. It's JPMA certified, meaning it passes all safety standards and it is made of solid wood. So not only is it pretty to look at, it's durable too!
- "I got this cute dresser to use as the changing table and to store baby essentials for my baby girl and I love it! It has so much storage space. It was pretty easy to assemble on my own, but I'm sure it would be even easier with 2 people. It took me a few hours to complete. The parts are all labeled with letters which were very helpful. I love the simple design that makes it gender-neutral and it feels very sturdy and well made."
- "Super easy to set up and adorable. I love that this crib is lower to the ground for when they are older. The wood legs give it a fun modern twist. The quality is excellent, especially for the price. I highly recommend it."
12. Best convertible metal crib
Since most cribs are made out of wood, you are probably wondering why you would choose a metal crib? Is it safe? Yes, this crib is safe. It is made of 100% chemical-free materials and it is sturdy and strong. Metal cribs are just as safe as wooden ones, and this one has a gorgeous design. It is built to last, so you can even hold onto it and give it as a gift to another expecting mother. A feature of this particular crib that many parents like is that it can adjust to 4 different heights as your baby grows.
- "It was easy to assemble literally like 6 bolts on each side, very sturdy, very strong, no cheap or flimsy. The only thing is it doesn't come with toddler attachments there sold separately other than that great product."
- "Soooo pretty! I get compliments all the time!"
Frequently Asked Questions About Convertible Cribs
Q: Is a convertible crib a safe option for my baby?
To market an item like a crib, bassinet, or play yard, the manufacturer has to pass the federal safety standards. Convertible cribs are considered safe for sleep as long as parents follow the ABCs of safe sleep: the infant should sleep alone, be placed on their back, and in a crib. That means that you should not add any blankets, pillows, stuffed animals, or crib bumpers and that no one else should sleep in the crib with the baby.
Cribs can be recalled or outdated, so it’s safest to buy a new crib. If your crib is not new, do your research to make sure it has not been recalled and that it meets the federal safety standards. An example of an unsafe crib that should not be used is a drop-side crib.
Q: Do I need to buy a toddler bed conversion kit for my convertible crib?
This depends on the model that you select. You can find this information in the product description. If you need to purchase a conversion kit separately, it is wise to buy this together with the crib. Then you won’t have to worry about your model or color being discontinued.
Q: When do I need to convert the crib to a toddler bed?
You must convert the crib to a toddler bed when your little one first tries to climb out of the crib or when they reach the manufacturer’s listed height limit.
- potterybarnkids.com. Kendall Convertible Crib. 2023.
Was this article helpful?