Meaning and Origin of: Tan
Search for Names & Meanings Top 100 Names for Boys Top 100 Names for Girls Last Name History & Meaning Name Popularity Tracker Celebrity Names Search for Names by Trait Browse First Names A-Z Browse Last Names A-Z Browse First Names by Origin Browse Last Names by Origin Baby Name Lists How to Choose a Name
First name origins & meanings:
- Vietnamese : New
- Russian : Fairy princess
- Old English : Leather worker
- Burmese : Million
First name variations
Last name origin & meaning:
- Chinese : from the name of the state of Tan during the Zhou dynasty. After Wu Wang established the Zhou dynasty in 1122 bc, he enfeoffed the state of Tan to a descendant of the model emperor Yu (2205–2198 bc), with the status of Viscount. Descendants adopted the name of the state Tan as their surname.
- Chinese : said to be from the name of a certain King Tan of the state of Song, a 36th-generation descendant of its founder (see Song).
- Chinese : variant of Chen.
- Chinese : there are two groups of bearers of the character for this surname: one pronounced Tan, and the other Qin (see Qin), although both are represented with the same character.
- Korean : there are three Chinese characters for this surname; two of them are used by clans that now have only one surviving family each, according to a recent census. Some records indicate that there are 10 clans that use the third character for their surname, but only two can be documented: the Kangüm clan and the Yönan clan. Neither of these clans is very large.
- Filipino : unexplained.