Meaning and Origin of: Manley
Search for Names & Meanings Top 100 Names for Boys Top 100 Names for Girls Last Name History & Meaning Name Popularity Tracker Celebrity Names Search for Names by Trait Browse First Names A-Z Browse Last Names A-Z Browse First Names by Origin Browse Last Names by Origin Baby Name Lists How to Choose a Name
First name origins & meanings:
- Old English : Man of the meadow
First name variations
Last name origin & meaning:
- English : habitational name from places in Devon and Cheshire, named in Old English as ‘common wood or clearing’, from (ge)mǣne ‘common’, ‘shared’ + lēah ‘woodland clearing’. The surname is still chiefly found in the regions around these villages.
- English : nickname from Middle English mannly ‘manly’, ‘virile’, ‘brave’ (Old English mannlīc, originally ‘man-like’).
- Irish (County Cork) : Anglicized form of Ó Máinle (and often pronounced Mauly), of unexplained origin. Compare Malley.
- Irish (Connacht and Donegal) : shortened Anglicized form of Gaelic Ó Maonghaile ‘descendant of Maonghal’, a personal name derived from words meaning ‘wealth’ and ‘valor’.