Meaning and Origin of: Kale
Search for Names & Meanings Top 100 Names for Boys Top 100 Names for Girls Last Name History & Meaning Name Popularity Tracker Celebrity Names Search for Names by Trait Browse First Names A-Z Browse Last Names A-Z Browse First Names by Origin Browse Last Names by Origin Baby Name Lists How to Choose a Name
First name origins & meanings:
- Irish : Sporty
- Hawaiian : Strong and manly
First name variations
Last name origin & meaning:
- Dutch : nickname from kaal ‘bald’.
- English : habitational name from the villages of East and West Keal in Lincolnshire, which are named from Old Norse kjǫlr ‘ridge’.
- Perhaps an altered spelling of German Köhl (see Kohl).
- Indian (Maharashtra); pronounced as two syllables : Hindu descriptive nickname from Sanskrit kāla ‘black’, found among Brahmans, Marathas, and other communities. The Konkanasth Brahmans have a clan called Kale.