Meaning and Origin of: Dillon
Search for Names & Meanings Top 100 Names for Boys Top 100 Names for Girls Last Name History & Meaning Name Popularity Tracker Celebrity Names Search for Names by Trait Browse First Names A-Z Browse Last Names A-Z Browse First Names by Origin Browse Last Names by Origin Baby Name Lists How to Choose a Name
First name origins & meanings:
- Irish : Faithful
- Welsh : Sea
First name variations
Last name origin & meaning:
- English and French : from the Germanic personal name Dillo (of uncertain origin, perhaps a byname from the root dīl ‘destroy’), introduced to Britain from France by the Normans.
- English : habitational name from Dilwyn near Hereford, recorded in 1138 as Dilun, probably from Old English dīglum, dative plural of dīgle ‘recess’, ‘retreat’, i.e. ‘at the shady or secret places’.
- Irish (of Norman origin) : altered form of de Leon (see Lyon).
- Irish : reduced Anglicized form of Gaelic Ó Duilleáin ‘descendant of Duilleán’, a personal name, a variant of Dallán meaning ‘little blind one’.
- Jewish (eastern Ashkenazic) : of uncertain origin; either an ornamental name from the Biblical place name Dilon (Joshua 15:38), or an altered form of Sephardic de León (see Lyon).