Rachel Menke and Ryan Borland got engaged on Friday night. On Monday morning, Rachel's mom began showing signs of wedding madness. She was sitting in the rain drinking coffee with a friend at 7 A.M. waiting for the office of the cathedral to open. She was determined to reserve it for her daughter on the wedding date they had chosen.
Although this may sound obsessive, there is a hidden purpose behind the mad wedding planning: It helps keep mom's emotions in tow. However, before promising your daughter the moon, get a game plan:
- Do not jump the gun.
- Do not promise your daughter anything until you check out the price (if you are footing the bill).
- Do establish a budget if you are footing the bill.
- Do determine from the get-go which decisions each of you has a right to make.
- Do not give the groom's parents or your daughter carte blanche for a guest list unless you mean to honor it.
- Do not forget for one second who the bride and groom are, nor that it is their wedding.