- Will this punishment teach my child better decision-making skills?
- Does this punishment change the misbehavior?
- Does this punishment reduce the need for more punishment?
- Am I getting angry when I punish?
- Is this punishment part of a plan? Do I use it impulsively?
- Am I getting even? Will this punishment humiliate or embarrass my child?
- Am I being consistent?
- Will I follow through immediately (except when I am angry)?
- Is this punishment reasonable and fair?
- Have I tried positive remedies first?
Ten Questions to Ask Before You Punish
Find 10 crucial questions to ask yourself every time you are about to settle on a punishment for your children.