Does your child know that cosmetics like shampoo, soap, and hand lotion are created by scientists? This activity will help your child understand how it's done.
- 2 cups water
- 1 packet unflavored gelatin
- 4 tablespoons glycerin
- Few drops of perfume or cologne
- 1 tablespoon rubbing alcohol
- Heat 1 cup of water to nearly boiling. Stir in the gelatin, then stir in 1 cup of cold water.
- Let the mixture cool until it's just warm. Add the glycerin, perfume or cologne, and rubbing alcohol and mix well.
- Put the mixture in the refrigerator.
- Stir the mixture every 15 minutes or so.
- In 1 hour, it should have the consistency of loose Jell-O. Take it out of the refrigerator and whip it with a fork or an eggbeater.
- Let it sit for about 30 minutes. If it's too thick, add water until it's thin enough to pour.
- Homemade hand lotion makes a great gift. To package it, pour it into a clean baby food jar or other small jar. Tie a circle of fabric over the jar lid with a ribbon and label the jar however you like.