Meaning and Origin of: Stein
Search for Names & Meanings Top 100 Names for Boys Top 100 Names for Girls Last Name History & Meaning Name Popularity Tracker Celebrity Names Search for Names by Trait Browse First Names A-Z Browse Last Names A-Z Browse First Names by Origin Browse Last Names by Origin Baby Name Lists How to Choose a Name
First name origins & meanings:
- German : Stone
First name variations
Last name origin & meaning:
- German and Jewish (Ashkenazic) : from German Stein ‘rock’, Middle High German stein, hence a topographic name either for someone who lived on stony ground or for someone who lived by a notable outcrop of rock or by a stone boundary marker or monument. It could also be a metonymic occupational name for a mason or stonecutter, or, among Jews, an ornamental name.
- Dutch : from a reduced form of the personal name Augustijn (see Austin).
- Norwegian : habitational name from any of ten or more farmsteads, notably in southeastern Norway, so named from Old Norse steinn ‘stone’.
- Scottish : from a reduced form of the personal name Steven (see Steen, Steven).
- Northern English and Scottish : from the Old Norse personal name Steinn meaning ‘stone’.
- Southern English : habitational name from a place named with Old English stǣne ‘stony place’, for example Stein in Sussex or Steane in Northamptonshire.