Meaning and Origin of: Quincy
Search for Names & Meanings Top 100 Names for Boys Top 100 Names for Girls Last Name History & Meaning Name Popularity Tracker Celebrity Names Search for Names by Trait Browse First Names A-Z Browse Last Names A-Z Browse First Names by Origin Browse Last Names by Origin Baby Name Lists How to Choose a Name
First name origins & meanings:
- Spanish : Fifteenth child
- English : Fifth son's estate
- American : Popular, fifth child
- French : Estate belonging to the fifth son
First name variations
Last name origin & meaning:
- English (of Norman origin) : habitational name from any of several places in France deriving their names from the Gallo-Roman personal name Quintus, meaning ‘fifth(-born)’ + the locative suffix -acum. The earliest bearers of the name in England were from Cuinchy in Pas-de-Calais, but other stocks may be from Quincy-sous-Sénard in Seine-et-Oise or Quincy-Voisins in Seine-et-Marne.
- The American Quincy family were established in MA by Edmund Quincy in 1633. Fifth in descent was Josiah Quincy (1744–75), a leading patriot, who was sent to England to argue the colonists’ case in 1774. His son Josiah (1772–1864) was a powerful opponent of slavery, president of Harvard, and mayor of Boston, a post also held by several of his descendants. The traditional pronunciation is “Quinzy”.