Meaning and Origin of: Marvin
Search for Names & Meanings Top 100 Names for Boys Top 100 Names for Girls Last Name History & Meaning Name Popularity Tracker Celebrity Names Search for Names by Trait Browse First Names A-Z Browse Last Names A-Z Browse First Names by Origin Browse Last Names by Origin Baby Name Lists How to Choose a Name
First name origins & meanings:
- English : Beautiful sea; good friend; lover of the sea
First name variations
Last name origin & meaning:
- English : from the Middle English personal name Merewine (Old English Maerwin, from mær ‘fame’ + win ‘friend’).
- English : from the Old English personal name Merefinn, derived from Old Norse Mora-Finnr.
- English : from the Old English personal name Mǣrwynn, composed of the elements mǣr ‘famous’, ‘renowned’ + wynn ‘joy’.
- English : from the Welsh personal name Merfyn, Mervyn, composed of the Old Welsh elements mer, which probably means ‘marrow’, + myn ‘eminent’.
- English : Mathew Marvin was one of the founders of Hartford, CT, (coming from Cambridge, MA, with Thomas Hooker) in 1635.