Meaning and Origin of: Kern
Search for Names & Meanings Top 100 Names for Boys Top 100 Names for Girls Last Name History & Meaning Name Popularity Tracker Celebrity Names Search for Names by Trait Browse First Names A-Z Browse Last Names A-Z Browse First Names by Origin Browse Last Names by Origin Baby Name Lists How to Choose a Name
First name origins & meanings:
- Celtic, Gaelic : Dark-haired child
- Irish : Small and dark-skinned
- Gaelic : Dark
- Gaelic : Small and dark-skinned
First name variations
Last name origin & meaning:
- Irish : reduced form of McCarron.
- German, Dutch, and Jewish (Ashkenazic) : from Middle High German kerne ‘kernel’, ‘seed’, ‘pip’; Middle Dutch kern(e), keerne; German Kern or Yiddish kern ‘grain’, hence a metonymic occupational name for a farmer, or a nickname for a small person. As a Jewish surname, it is mainly ornamental.
- English : probably a metonymic occupational name for a maker or user of hand mills, from Old English cweorn ‘hand mill’, or a habitational name for someone from Kern in the Isle of Wight, named from this word.