Meaning and Origin of: Kelsey
Search for Names & Meanings Top 100 Names for Boys Top 100 Names for Girls Last Name History & Meaning Name Popularity Tracker Celebrity Names Search for Names by Trait Browse First Names A-Z Browse Last Names A-Z Browse First Names by Origin Browse Last Names by Origin Baby Name Lists How to Choose a Name
First name origins & meanings:
- Old English : River landing place
- Scottish : Brave; ship island
- Scandinavian : Ceol's island; beautiful island; from the ship's island; shipping harbor
- Scandinavian : Island of ships
- English : Island
First name variations
Last name origin & meaning:
- English : habitational name from North or South Kelsey in Lincolnshire, so named from Cēol, an Old English personal name, or alternatively from an unattested Old Scandinavian word, kæl ‘wedge-shaped piece of land’, + ēg ‘island’, ‘area of dry land in a marsh’.
- Possibly also an Americanized form of German Gelzer.
- William Kelsey was one of the founders of Hartford, CT, (coming from Cambridge, MA, with Thomas Hooker) in 1635.