Meaning and Origin of: Hill
Search for Names & Meanings Top 100 Names for Boys Top 100 Names for Girls Last Name History & Meaning Name Popularity Tracker Celebrity Names Search for Names by Trait Browse First Names A-Z Browse Last Names A-Z Browse First Names by Origin Browse Last Names by Origin Baby Name Lists How to Choose a Name
First name origins & meanings:
- Greek : Cheer
- German : Battle sword
First name variations
Last name origin & meaning:
- English and Scottish : extremely common and widely distributed topographic name for someone who lived on or by a hill, Middle English hill (Old English hyll).
- English : from the medieval personal name Hill, a short form of Hilary (see Hillary) or of a Germanic (male or female) compound name with the first element hild ‘strife’, ‘battle’.
- German : from a short form of Hildebrand or any of a variety of other names, male and female, containing Germanic hild as the first element.
- Jewish (American) : Anglicized form of various Jewish names of similar sound or meaning.
- English translation of Finnish Mäki (‘hill’), or of any of various other names formed with this element, such as Mäkinen, Heinämaki, Kivimäki.