Meaning and Origin of: Geary
Search for Names & Meanings Top 100 Names for Boys Top 100 Names for Girls Last Name History & Meaning Name Popularity Tracker Celebrity Names Search for Names by Trait Browse First Names A-Z Browse Last Names A-Z Browse First Names by Origin Browse Last Names by Origin Baby Name Lists How to Choose a Name
First name origins & meanings:
- English : Changeable
First name variations
Last name origin & meaning:
- Irish : reduced Anglicized form of Gaelic Ó Gadhra ‘descendant of Gadhra’ (see O’Gara). See also McGeary.
- English : from a personal name derived from Germanic gēr, gār ‘spear’, a short form of any of various compound names with this as a first element (see, for example Garrett).
- English : nickname for a wayward or capricious person, from Middle English ge(a)ry ‘fickle’, ‘changeable’, ‘passionate’ (a derivative of gere ‘fit of passion’, apparently a Scandinavian borrowing).
- Possibly an altered spelling of German Gehring or Gehrig.
- Most present-day Irish bearers of the name Geary and its variants and derivatives are descended from a single 10th-century ancestor, a nephew of Eadhra, who founded the family <xref>O’Hara</xref> in Connacht. The family is now spread more widely.