Meaning and Origin of: Courtney
Search for Names & Meanings Top 100 Names for Boys Top 100 Names for Girls Last Name History & Meaning Name Popularity Tracker Celebrity Names Search for Names by Trait Browse First Names A-Z Browse Last Names A-Z Browse First Names by Origin Browse Last Names by Origin Baby Name Lists How to Choose a Name
First name origins & meanings:
- Old English : Courtly; courteous
- English : From the court; dignified
First name variations
Last name origin & meaning:
- English (of Norman origin) : habitational name from Courtenay near Sens in northern France, or some other place similarly named, from the name of a Romano-Gallic landlord, Curtenus (a derivative of Latin curtus ‘short’) + the locative suffix -acum.
- English (of Norman origin) : nickname for someone with a snub nose, from Old French c(o)urt ‘short’ + nes ‘nose’ (Latin nasus).
- Irish : English surname adopted by bearers of Gaelic Ó Curnáin ‘descendant of Curnán’, an Old Irish personal name from a diminutive of corn ‘horn’.