Meaning and Origin of: Burt
Search for Names & Meanings Top 100 Names for Boys Top 100 Names for Girls Last Name History & Meaning Name Popularity Tracker Celebrity Names Search for Names by Trait Browse First Names A-Z Browse Last Names A-Z Browse First Names by Origin Browse Last Names by Origin Baby Name Lists How to Choose a Name
First name origins & meanings:
- Old English : Fortress, bright flame
First name variations
Last name origin & meaning:
- English and Scottish : from the Old English personal name Byrht, a byform of Be(o)rht ‘bright’. Compare Bert.
- German : Middle High German burt ‘that which is due or proper’, therefore a nickname for someone who has fulfilled his obligations properly.
- Jewish (from Poland and Ukraine) : variant of Burd.
- Richard Burt came from England