High-School Freshman Needs Help with Spelling and Reading

Get information on how to obtain books on tape and other resources for older children with learning disabilities.
My freshman has a mild learning disability and is getting help at school. He has trouble reading and spelling. Are there books on tape to help him? I'm told that he probably won't go to college. I don't accept that. He isn't stupid. I think he can be whatever wants to be. What more can I do or find on the Web?
In order to get books on tape, your son needs to register with the Recordings for the Blind and Dyslexic (RFBD). Information is available on their website (http://www.rfbd.org) or call 1-800-221-4792.

In addition to RFBD, there are other wonderful supports available for older children with learning disabilities.

  • LD Resources (http://www.ldresources.com) has information on technology supports for kids of all ages.
  • The Learning Toolbox (http://www.etv.jmu.edu/LearningToolbox ) is a great website for college, high school and middle school students with learning disabilities.
  • Another excellent site for learning computer-based study strategies is from the University of Oregon (http://www.cbss.uoregon.edu).
  • Also look at general LD sites like LDonline (http://www.ldonline.org).

    Several excellent books are available to help you to explore the possibilities of a college life for your son. Have a look at Peterson's Colleges with Programs for Students with Learning Disabilities, The College Student with a Learning Disability: A Handbook by Susan Vogel, and Unlocking Potential: College and Other Choices for Learning Disabled People by Barbara Scheiber. And don't forget to check out the National Center for Learning Disabilities (http://www.ncld.org). They are offering scholarships for college for students with learning disabilities.

  • For more than 20 years, Eileen Marzola has worked with children and adults with learning disabilities and attention deficit disorders, and with their parents and teachers. She has been a regular education classroom teacher, a consultant teacher/resource teacher, an educational evaluator/diagnostician, and has also taught graduate students at the university level. Marzola is an adjunct assistant professor of education at Teachers College, Columbia University, and Hunter College of the City University of New York. She also maintains a private practice in the evaluation and teaching of children with learning disabilities and attention deficit disorders.

    Please note: This "Expert Advice" area of FamilyEducation.com should be used for general information purposes only. Advice given here is not intended to provide a basis for action in particular circumstances without consideration by a competent professional. Before using this Expert Advice area, please review our General and Medical Disclaimers.