We suggest that you talk to your son's pediatrician. You need to find out if there is any medical reason for his excitable and impulsive behavior. If your child is diagnosed as having attention deficit disorder with or without hyperactivity or some other type of learning disability that will impact his learning in the classroom, then the school will have to provide appropriate educational services next year. You will want to provide the school with this information before your son starts kindergarten.
Here's a list of things that you can do that may help your child become less excitable and impulsive:
- Structure your son's time. Have a predictable daily routine.
- Develop a few consistent rules of behavior and discipline.
- Follow through on these rules.
- Praise your child for good behavior.
- Encourage your child's interests.
- Shorten TV-viewing time.
- Eliminate violent TV programs.
- Provide physically stimulating outlets for his energy.
- Make time for a relaxing evening meal and bedtime ritual.