High-School Grad with LD Seeks Help

Is there any help for a high-school grad who had an IEP for SLD in reading, writing, and study skills?
Is there any help for a high school grad who had an IEP for SLD in reading, writing, and study skills? If there is, how do I access any information?
If you are a recent graduate, contact the special education department in your school. Ask them to direct you to programs or opportunities for young adults with learning disabilities. There is probably a department of rehabilitation (or vocational rehabilitation) in your state, and they may provide evaluations and vocational counseling. Check the Yellow Pages under State Government.

If you have not had a thorough and recent evaluation, contact the adult learning disabilities clinic at a local hospital. You can also call the Psychological Association in your state (usually in the capital; ask the operator for the (name of state) Psychological Association and ask them to refer you to someone who works with young adults (or older adults, as the case may be). Or, you can contact the office of the Learning Disability Association in your state ( http://www.ldanatl.org and look for state affiliates). While you are at the LDA website, go to the adult issues areas and learn more about resources that are available for high school graduates who have learning disabilities. You will be pleased to know that most colleges offer services which can help students with learning disabilities become very successful. If you are interested in going to college, contact a local university and ask them what services they provide. More than at any time in history, there is hope and opportunity for adults with learning disabilities. It may take a bit of work to find the resources, but they exist. Good luck and don't give up.

Jerome (Jerry) Schultz is the founding clinical director of the Learning Lab @ Lesley University, a program that provides assessment, tutoring, and case management services for children with learning challenges. Schultz holds a Ph.D. from Boston College, and has completed postdoctoral fellowships in both clinical psychology and pediatric neuropsychology.

Please note: This "Expert Advice" area of FamilyEducation.com should be used for general information purposes only. Advice given here is not intended to provide a basis for action in particular circumstances without consideration by a competent professional. Before using this Expert Advice area, please review our General and Medical Disclaimers.

Reading Eggs Offer