Here are some activity and game ideas to help your kids stay cool and wet during the hot summer.
- Garden hose with spray nozzle
- If you have a swing set, set up a fan-style sprinkler close to it so your children can swing into the spray.
- Have children stand in a circle around a rotating sprinkler and jump over the stream of water as it comes around. The children can compete to see who'll be the last to miss a jump and get wet. A child playing alone can see how many jumps he can make before getting wet.
- Play limbo with a garden hose. Have one player hold the hose so that the water sprays horizontally. Begin with the stream of water at chin level and have each child walk under the stream. Lower the stream a bit and have the children walk under it again. Continue lowering the stream so that players have to crouch, crawl, and perhaps even slither to get under it to avoid getting wet. Players are out once they get wet. The player who stays dry the longest is the winner.
- Play tag with a garden hose. The player who's it chases the other players and tries to tag them with the stream of water. Define a safe zone to which players can run to avoid being tagged. The first player to be tagged is it for the next game.