Here are directions for building a marble arcade and playing a marble arcade game.
This game can be played indoors or outdoors.Materials
- Heavy object, such as large book or shoe
- Cut five or six holes of different sizes and shapes (semicircle, triangle, rectangle, and so on) in one long side of a shoebox.
- Each hole should be wide enough for a marble to pass through.
- Write a number between one and ten above each hole.
- Give easier (bigger) holes lower numbers and harder (smaller) holes higher numbers.
- Set the box upside down on a flat surface and put a heavy object on the box to hold it in place.
- Have the players take turns shooting their marbles one at a time through the holes from a designated spot.
- If a marble misses the holes, it stays where it lands.
- If a marble goes through a hole, its owner retrieves it and collects the designated number of marbles from the playing area. For example, if a marble goes through a hole marked with the number five, its owner collects five marbles from the playing area.
- If there aren't enough marbles in the playing area, have each player put one or two marbles into a kitty, from which the shooter is paid.